Lot 213
  • 213

A French cut and moulded glass twenty-four light chandelier by Baccarat, circa 1883

Estimate
25,000 - 40,000 GBP
Log in to view results
bidding is closed

Description

  • Glass
  • 155cm. high; 4ft. 4 1/4 in.
together with 24 letters from Baccarat to Antonino Nicosia regarding the extensive commission, a copy of the original Baccarat catalogue from 1883 and various hand drawn sketches and lists illustrating the chandeliers and sconces for set up and delivery

Provenance

Commissioned by Antonino Nicosia, Baron of Sangiaime for Palazzo Nicosia, Enna, Sicily;
By descent to Nunzio Nicosia, Baron of Sangiaime who moved the chandeliers and wall lights to Sperlinga Castle, Enna, Sicily;
By descent to his nephew Cavaliere Giovanni Calogero Li Destri Nicosia;
Thence by descent to the present owner.

Condition

A superb chandelier in very good original condition. There is a small hair line crack to the top of the lower bowl which cannot be seen from below and is secure. This piece is ready to place.
"In response to your inquiry, we are pleased to provide you with a general report of the condition of the property described above. Since we are not professional conservators or restorers, we urge you to consult with a restorer or conservator of your choice who will be better able to provide a detailed, professional report. Prospective buyers should inspect each lot to satisfy themselves as to condition and must understand that any stat.mes nt made by Replica Shoes 's is merely a subjective, qualified opinion. Prospective buyers should also refer to any Important Notices regarding this sale, which are printed in the Sale Catalogue.
NOTWITHSTANDING THIS REPORT OR ANY DISCUSSIONS CONCERNING A LOT, ALL LOTS ARE OFFERED AND SOLD AS IS" IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CONDITIONS OF BUSINESS PRINTED IN THE SALE CATALOGUE."

Catalogue Note

The noble family Nicosia of the eponymous town in the Enna region of Sicily came to power in the early 15th century, when Luca Nicosia was made Capitano Giustiziere in 1477. Since Luca’s ascendancy the family maintained their position, eventually being granted the baronial titles of Sangiaime and Pozzo in 1573. Because of the insular dialect of the Enna region, a result of the various Norman, Arab, Spanish and Bourbon invasions, the status that the Nicosia family enjoyed was utilised by various rulers to maintain control. As such, the patriarchs of the Nicosia family were at one t.mes Administrators of the Vice-King of Aragon, Law Captain of Enna, Judges of the Great court of the Kingdom and held the titles Barons of Sangiame, Pozzo, San Nicolo, Fegotto, Filicino, Monserrato and at one t.mes Marquises of Federici. At the end of the 19th century, after the unification of Italy, the Nicosia family resided in Palazzo Nicosia in the centre of town. It was for this palace that Antonino Nicosia, Baron Sangiaime originally ordered the commission. Interestingly, as many of the great aristocratic families of Sicily lost much of their lands and titles to the newly established Savoy monarch, the Nicosias, through their role as local administrators and law makers saw an increase in their family fortune. Indeed, in 1862 Antonino’s nephew Nunzio Nicosia took ownership of the Sperlinga Castle (fig. 1), where he moved the family’s art collects ion and prized chandeliers in 1910. Nunzio’s tenure as patriarch of the family was marked by the inclusion of the noble Li Destri family, Barons of Rajno through marriage, eventually changing the family’s name to Li Destri Nicosia of Rajno. The chandeliers and sconces remained in Sperlinga Castle until the family gifted the building to the state in 1973. The chandeliers and sconces were subsequently split between two daughters, with one side receiving one chandelier and eight sconces and the other receiving the following lots.

The Commission

The documentation of the commission from Baron Antonino Nicosia of Sangiamie for ‘3 lustres and 16 appliques’ from the Compagnie des Cristalleries de Baccarat is extensive and highly illuminating. Consisting of over twenty letters written from 1883 to 1887 (to be sold with lot 213), the entire catalogue of documents chronicles each stage of the commission from the original Baccarat book (fig. 2) through to the instructions sent by the master glass-maker to Baron Sangiamie (fig. 3), detailing the contents of each box and how to install the chandeliers and sconces. The rarity of such a complete set of original documentation cannot be overstated.  It not only cements the aristocratic provenance of these wonderful chandeliers and sconces, but also speaks to the history of the Sicilian nobility and the far reaching fame that Baccarat has always enjoyed.

Baccarat

The origins of Baccarat can be traced to 1764, when King Louis XV accorded to the Bishop of Metz permission to establish a glass factory on his land, in the small village of Baccarat in Lorraine, in order to compete with the celebrated Bohemian production. Lorraine is traditionally a glass-making region, due to the abundance of silica in the soil and due to its large forests, which supplied the wood to fuel the ovens. The Baccarat manufactory rapidly became a leading producer with highly skilled maître-verriers. In 1823, Baccarat participated for the first t.mes at the National Exhibition. Louis XVIII was seduced by the quality of the pieces presented, which received the praise of the jury and the first gold medal. As a result of its success and with an increasing reputation, the manufactory following its research gradually consolidated its reputation, which allowed it to dominate the French market. Most importantly, François-Eugène de Fontenay, who joined the company in 1841, discovered that by the addition of nickel oxide in the manufacturing process, a perfectly clear product (called 'crystal glass') could be produced free of discolouration, imitating precious rock crystal. De Fontenay's efforts were lavishly awarded with a Gold Medal at the French Expositions des Produits de l'Industrie in 1844.