John Batson (1819-1893) was born in the village of Trent, Somerset, the son of Edward Batson, a labourer, and his wife, Charlotte. In the early 1840s he moved to London where, described as a cabinet maker, he was married on 12 May 1844 at St. Martin in the Fields to Eliza Cox, the daughter of a wheelwright. By 1851 he had set up on his own account at 24 Little Pulteney Street, Soho, where he is listed in 1853/54 as a (fancy) cabinet and inkstand maker. In 1857/58 he moved to nearby 42 Brewer Street, Golden Square where he is recorded over the next few years as a fancy cabinet and inkstand maker, mediaeval mounter, turner, &c. and dressing case maker. With the introduction of his sons, Henry John Batson (1850-1918) and Albert Edward Batson (1854-1936) to the business, the style of the firm was changed to John Batson & Sons.

John Batson retired on 25 March 1892, when John Batson & Sons was described as fancy cabinet and dressing case makers, silversmiths, and art.mes tal workers, leather workers, and workers in tortoiseshell and ivory at 42 and 43 Brewer Street. (The London Gazette, London, 29 April 1892, p. 2499a) The business continued until closing in 1936/37 following A.E. Batson's death.

From small beginnings, John Batson, who died leaving a comfortable estate valued at over £10,000 (worth approximately £780,000 today), created a business which manufactured a wide range of objects beyond ordinary cabinet work. He entered the first of several marks at Goldsmiths' Hall in London on 4 October 1871 for silver and gold mounts and on 8 September 1877 he patented 'Improvements applicable to Bramah and other locks.' Among a number of designs Batson's registered during the 1870s with the Patent Office were those for 'The Hall Hunting Trophy' hat and stick rack, a signal indicator, 'The Thistle' pincushion, a hall letter box, 'The Revolving Union Liquor Barrel and Stand' and various boxes for cigars, &c. Batson's also became very well known in trade circles for its range of silver-mounted tortoiseshell items, from jewel caskets to photograph frames.

In 1924 Batson & Sons was responsible for supplying a number of miniature items for Queen Mary's Dolls' House, including a steel umbrella stand.